Beginning in the late 19th century, many intellectuals began to insist that scientific knowledge conflicts with traditional theistic belief — that science and belief in God are “at war.” In Return of the God Hypothesis, Stephen Meyer argues that theism — with its affirmation of a transcendent, intelligent and active creator — best explains the evidence we have concerning biological and cosmological origins. Previously Meyer refrained from attempting to answer questions about “who” might have designed life. Now he provides an evidence-based answer to perhaps the ultimate mystery of the universe. The results? Meyer reveals a stunning conclusion: the data support not just the existence of an intelligent designer of some kind — but the existence of a personal God.
You don’t want to miss this episode of Hank Unplugged, as Stephen Meyer joins Hank Hanegraaff to discuss Return of the God Hypothesis and the breakthrough evidence that will change the way you view the world around you — and the God that created it — forever.
Topics discussed include
- The debate with Lawrence Krauss that inspired Stephen Meyer to write Return of the God Hypothesis (3:00);
- the implications of Darwinian evolution, scientific materialism and a universe without God (8:25);
- the inability of scientific materialism to explain origins (16:00);
- what ideas have led people away from belief in God? (21:00);
- the implications of the scientific discovery providing evidence that the universe had a beginning (24:45);
- the hidden theistic implications of Quantum cosmology (30:00);
- the rise of the multiverse and how the fine tuning of the universe supports evidence for God (35:30);
- biological evidence for the existence of God (40:40);
- the history of the God hypothesis dating back to Isaac Newton and the Scientific Revolution and why Stephen Meyer believes it is time for a return of the God hypothesis (45:10);
- debunking the myth that science and religion are in conflict (54:30);
- three metaphors used to describe nature (59:30); examining the intellectual shift away from a belief in God in philosophy and science (1:03:05); how a lack of Christian unity impacted the shift in prevalence to a materialist worldview (1:07:10);
- the problem with Hume’s argument against miracles (1:08:45); why is the issue of origins so important? (1:11:30);
- scientific materialism, fine-tuning and the multiverse (1:16:40); why Stephen Meyer thinks that Stephen Hawking was a brilliant scientist, but a weak philosopher (1:22:15);
- the rising popularity of Panspermia and UFO’s (1:25:45);
- why do critics of Intelligent Design consistently, and incorrectly, critique it as a “God of the gaps” argument (1:31:10);
- with whom would theistic evolution be popular? (1:34:40);
- addressing claims of pseudoscience and the problem with appeals to settled or consensus science (1:41:00).
- Listen to Hank’s podcast and follow Hank off the grid where he is joined by some of the brightest minds discussing topics you care about. Get equipped to be a cultural change agent.
- Archived episodes are on our Website and available at the additional channels listed below.
- You can help spread the word about Hank Unplugged by giving us a rating and review from the other channels we are listed on.